This easy squash casserole recipe with cream of chicken soup creates the perfect combination of a tasty squash mixture and stuffing mix…
This easy squash casserole recipe is the perfect side dish for summer months or, really, any time of year. It’s a great accompaniment for any camping or holiday meal the whole family will enjoy.
You can also easily transform it into a one-dish meal by adding cooked chicken or turkey to the yummy squash mix before baking. Or, simply serve it with a rotisserie chicken you pick up from the grocery store.
RVers can also make this dish in advance! It heats up well and can even be frozen. All in all, this old-fashioned squash casserole is a great addition to any RVer’s healthy recipes.
(PSST! Make it vegetarian by swapping cream of chicken for cream of mushroom soup!)
We use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases at no added cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Some Quick Tips
You don’t need to be a seasoned home cook to get this easy casserole recipe right. Anybody can make this yummy dish, but we have a few quick tips to make the most of it.
- Make your camping trip easier by making this great recipe in advance and either refrigerating it for up to 3 days or freezing it. It reheats well! If freezing, the sour cream will separate a bit, but it doesn’t affect the flavor. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container.
- Be sure to drain the sauteed squash and onions well for this casserole to set properly. You may wish to even pat them with paper towels before mixing them with the other ingredients.
- Most RV ovens will fit a 9×13 casserole dish. However, if yours doesn’t, simply halve the recipe or cook it in a smaller casserole dish in two batches.
- Easily make this side dish a main dish by adding cooked chicken or turkey to the squash mix before baking.
- Have picky eaters in the family? Most parents are in for a real surprise when their kids gobble down this tender squash casserole. But, if they need a bit more convincing, you can add cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese to the top to make cheesy squash casserole. Melted cheese is the perfect way to disguise veggies!
- Don’t have condensed cream of chicken soup or wish to make it vegetarian? Cream of mushroom soup works just as well. You can also swap yellow squash for zucchini.
Alrighty, that’s all the tips for today! Let’s get straight to the full recipe card…
Squash Casserole Recipe with Cream of Chicken Soup
Looking for More New Recipes?
Want to Share YOUR Favorite Camping Food Recipe?
Submit your favorite camping recipe, and it might just become the next favorite among our food-loving community!