This leftover hamburger patties casserole uses cheese, tater tots, and not much else for an easy family meal…
When camping, you often end up with leftover hamburgers. The cooked patties aren’t great for making burgers the next day, but they are great for making this casserole! It’s also a great option if you have leftover ground beef from making homemade burgers or tacos.
This simple hamburger casserole recipe is a good hearty meal with a few simple ingredients. It’s mostly leftover burgers, tater tots, and lots of cheese. Some people call it a tater tot casserole or even a hamburger hashbrown casserole.
Whatever you call it, it’s sure to become a new family favorite. Even when you’re not camping, it makes a perfect weeknight meal at home that the kids won’t complain about.
Feel free to jump straight to the recipe, but we’ll give you a few key tips to make it shine.Jump to Recipe
We use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases at no added cost to you. Thank you for your support.
A Few Quick Pointers
This leftover hamburger casserole is super easy to make, but we have a few pointers for you to make it the best it can be.
1. Store the leftover burger patties (from this Simple Burger Recipe) in an airtight container so they don’t dry out.
2. The most commonly asked question is if you can use leftover cheeseburgers. Yes, you can! No need to remove the cheese since this is already a cheese recipe.
3. You can place the hamburger patties directly in the casserole dish, but we recommend cutting or crumbling the meat to ensure it heats evenly.
4. To cook faster, you can partially thaw the tater tots on the counter for 30 minutes before cooking. Or pop them in the microwave for a couple minutes. Then, simply remove the casserole from the oven once the tater tots are golden brown.
5. This recipe can be made with uncooked leftover hamburger meat. Simply brown the ground hamburger meat on the stovetop to use in place of the leftover patties.
Want to Cook It Over the Campfire?
The recipe below is for cooking in your RV oven, but you can make this over a campfire, too. Simply follow the same instructions using a cast iron skillet and cook it a few inches above the flames until the tots are crispy and the cheese is melted.
Another great campfire alternative is to make individual foil packets with the ingredients and whatever personalized toppings each person wants. That way, even the picky eaters get a delicious dinner just the way they like it.
Speaking of Toppings…
This is such a great recipe because it uses the most versatile ingredients. So many things go great with hamburger meat and tater tots, so you can customize it any way you’d like. Some favorite sauces and toppings are crispy fried onions, BBQ sauce, ketchup, Ranch dressing, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, bell peppers, black beans, crispy bacon, corn, and more.
There are so many creative ways to customize it for the whole family! You can even mix some of those toppings right into the casserole and bake it together. One of our favorite variations is substituting BBQ sauce for the cream of mushroom soup and adding corn. It all cooks together as one of our favorite one-dish meals.
Give Me Some Tots!
Alrighty, let’s put those extra burgers to use now! Here is the full recipe that you can then customize any way you’d like…
Mmm Mmm! Check Out These Recipes…
Want to Share YOUR Favorite Camping Food Recipe?
Submit your favorite camping recipe, and it might just become the next favorite among our food-loving community!